Tuesday 11 January 2011

UV and texture of the gallery

Now as the animation is finished for the gallery scene, we can all start UVing and texturing the gallery. We have each done a part of it, and my areas were the walls, floor and corridor.

First, i had the UV layout which Maik had unwrapped and got to work in Photoshop to make the textures. This is my first time Uving so we all helped each other out to understand the basic principle of what we are actually doing and trying to achieve.


This is the UV unwrap i was given so texture. This is for the main gallery walls and floor. To start, I created a PSD network of Maya to paint my textures in in Photoshop.



I then made up a pattern in photoshop i had to tile so create the wall paper. I wanted to go with Green, but from my photographs from the V&A galleries, i saw that they used deep reds and purples which really made the gold frames stand out. As we want to have huge gold frames, I thought red would be my best bet.


This is the pattern which was made and i tiled this over the wall. Here is the finished texture on the walls. It took me some time to match them up, but as it will be at night tome, the lights will be very dim in there so you wouldnt be able to nice anyway - but im a perfectionist!


Next was the floor. I searched for a wooden floor image which i could tile to create a whole rooms worth of flooring. I found this:


This is too light for what we had in mind, so i darkened it in Photoshop and then tiled it over the unwrap of the floor. This is what its all looking like now:


Now for the corridor! I want to keep the same flooring as the main gallery so it runs through nicely. I was thinking a figgerent colour and pattern for the wall in the corridor so it breaks it up a bit. Here is what i decided on:



Okay I'm happy with all these now! Now to update the PSD network in Maya so i can see my textures in the rooms.


I changed the reflective setting of the Blinn for the floor so its nice and shiney and we can get some cool refections of lights and stuff in the final renders. This is what it looks like now:

No comments:

Post a Comment